Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Wrestler (2008) - Movie Review

The Wrestler 
Directed by Darren Aronofsky 

movie review/analysis
written by Gavin Miller







I absolutely adore Darren Aronofsky. If I were to make a top five favorite directors list, Aronofsky would easily be on it, probably even making the top three. I love every movie he's made, Pi (1998), Requiem for a Dream (2000), The Fountain (2006), his latest, Black Swan (2010), and 2008's The Wrestler. I know I'm getting extremely repetitive, but I love all these films, I find it next to impossible ordering them preference wise; that being said, if I absolutely had to choose my favorite, The Wrestler would most likely come out on top. It's not quite as intense as some of Aronofsky's previous films (Requiem for a Dream, Black Swan in particular), instead, it takes the form of a more honest and touching drama. Not that the end result is "touching" - this is by no means an "uplifting" movie, but some scenes are very emotional and just facial expressions and dialog convey so much, and really make this movie. This is of course due to the absolutely amazing, perfect performances from the whole cast. Mickey Rourke and Marisa Tomei are so good in this film it's almost unbelievable. Rourke's performance as the aging, beaten and disconnected wrestler, Randy "The Ram" Robinson has to be one of my favorite performances by and actor of all time. Not only is it amazing physical acting, but also just so emotional, at certain points in the movie, the little quiet character moments you just really bring a tear to your eye. The way the film is shot is also one of the best things about it. It takes on a documentary-est feel, slowly following the characters around, I think it's one of the things that works best about this film. 
The Wrestler is as brutal as it is emotional. It gives an honest and uncompromising look into the world of wrestling, I will never watch a "simple" wrestling match again without thinking of this movie. This is not a movie for the faint of heart, all kind of wince inducing violence occurs during the matches, it is not always a pleasant film to watch, but this is not "Rocky". This is a Darren Aronofsky drama that takes risks, it is not afraid. This is an extremely well acted movie, it's honest and sometimes disturbing, but it does not lack in heart. If you liked Clint Eastwood's Million Dollar Baby, I think that you would like this film too. The Wrestler is one of my favorite movies of all time. I could praise it more, everything is just about perfect, and it's actually very entertaining. One of the best. 

A+









No comments:

Post a Comment